Welcome ! Thanks for visiting my blog.

Today is the present...it is a gift and I am greatful.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

When Getting Older Becomes Painful

I remember the time when I so much wanted to be older. Being young was too restrictive; too many things that were not for kids; places we could not go. I wanted to be older; to be free. My dreams were calling me. I could not wait to finish school and get on with it. I never really wanted to leave home. I had a poor but great home and friends and was in a good band. To pursue my dreams I had to leave.

I got through college and got married. We started our home and family together. Our kids came along and have been hugh blessing. My wife improved my life tremendously over the years. However, one secret of getting older evaded me until recently. As I got older, my parents, mentors and spiritual leaders also got older. I was not prepared for that. I think I expected them to stay the same because I needed them to stay the same. They were my pillars of strength. How could they get ol? Some have even crossed over.

My mother is the strongest person I have even known. She has more faith than anyone I have ever met. She has survived the pain of unfaithful men while raising siblings and eight children. She has survived severe hardship. Yet she never gave up, she loves her Lord, evangelized an entire community basically by herself. She has fed and clothed more people than some non-profit organizations.

Today, the ravages of age has invaded her body. Her walk is now slow, her physical strength is fading, her mind wanders to places that bring her joy, her heart they say is weakened and cancer is is migrating through her body. I wish I could be twenty again. I don't really want to grow up. Being under her direct rule would be a great thing right now.



My father (not the sperm donor but the one who fulfilled the role) used to run races regularly. He mentored and discipled over one hundred and twenty young men. He shares in our lives, knows our wives, our hurts, our joys and or struggles. He found me in a church on the island twenty six years ago and planted the words of a dream maker in my heart. My life has never been the same. He is a man of integrity, a faithful father and husband. His spiritual strength would cripple Samson.


Today, the ravages of age has invaded his body. Though his invasion is not as extensive as my mother's, he stills experiences his symptoms.


Solomon says that there is a time for everything under heaven (Eccles. 3:1). Maybe we can find a way to freeze time. If they have to grow up too then let's stay young.

No comments: